“A Community Service Leader”
The members of West Thurston Regional Fire Authority take pride in being recognized as a “Community Service Leader”. We are committed not only to delivering the best possible emergency service, but also are proud to be a leader in community activities and public education events.
West Thurston personnel are leaders in numerous community service, public education and prevention activities.
- Community First Aid & CPR-AED classes
- Blood Pressure Clinics
- Smoke detector installation and battery replacement
- In-home fire safety survey
- Wildfire defensible space survey
Community services fund raising events:
- Breakfast with Santa
- Firefighters Association and Firestones benevolence activities: Fill-the-boot
- IAFF Local 3825 MDA fund raiser
- Firefighters Association Stair Climb
Public Safety Education and Prevention Programs
At West Thurston, public safety education is a priority objective, although the ongoing cost-benefit debate (comparing prevention dollars spent to the actual prevention of injury or property loss) continues. We consider the cost of treating injuries and associated long-term care, not to mention the devastating effects they have on families, and it’s simple to understand how the application of fire department time and a few dollars to prevent injury in our community is equitable. We do know that doing nothing will produce nothing, and as we often witness, the only chance we have to save a life is by preventing the incident from occurring.
At West Thurston we take pride in our Public Education and Prevention programs and activities. Our Public Safety Specialists are among the most committed and active in the region.
West Thurston personnel are leading community public education and prevention activities annually.
Public Education and Prevention Programs and Events:
- Spring Easter Egg Hunt(s) and Injury Prevention Safety Fair
- Fall Fire Prevention Week Safety Fair
- Emergency Preparedness Events
- Swede Day Events
- High school anti-drunk driving mock crash events
- Elementary school fire prevention education
- Juvenile Fire Setters Program